And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

Should or Would Pagans Proselytize?

click here for your own church sign

In the most recent issue of PanGaia Magazine (#45) the question of Pagans proselytizing was raised.

Barbara Ardinger, Ph.D. had this to say:

"Why on Earth should Pagans proselytize? Let the Witnesses who have experience do it. If you want other religions to leave us alone, we should return the favor. Let us all live in peace together."

Well Barbara, my response to that is simple. If people think that Christianity is the only option, and believe the things they are told, our society will only continue to crumble under our feet and the Earth will have no option but to swallow the entire human race whole.

Think I'm being dramatic? Consider the idea of "Original Sin" or the "All People Are Sinners in the Eyes of God" model.

If you tell a child they are evil enough times they will begin to believe it and may even begin to use it as an excuse for their actions. When they behave badly or hurt another person the response might be "What did you expect? I am inherently evil after all." Or maybe the pious person will see the "inherent evil" in another person and use that as an excuse to punish or destroy them. (Re: Original sin, Way of the Master, Tim LaHaye.)

And that's just one issue. Throw in the concepts of:

- justified war in the name of god
- women being submissive to their men
- people being better than all other living creatures
- people being seperate from divinity
- people lording over nature

All of these ideas have a way of infesting the human psyche on a damaging level and thus contributing poorly to our society as a whole.

proselytize: to attempt to convert another person to your beliefs.
www.religioustolerance.org/gl_p.htm


Okay, so we've established that proselytizing is the practice of trying to convert another to your way of thinking. Evangelical Christians do this through way of curb-side sermons and preaching about hellfire and brimstone. Is that the way Pagans would handle it? I think we need to realize that when Pagans do something they do it the Pagan way not the Christian way.

I understand that there are a lot of people out there who are concerned that Paganism is going to go the way of more mainstream beliefs - insomuch in the way that Paganism may begin to contain corruption and power struggles based on greed. That's a scary prospect, but again, we do things the Pagan way - a different way, and I dare say a better way. Our ways are based on ancient beliefs from a time of peace; a time before war was commonplace and a time when all things were realized as one.

Just because we form a church (and call it a church) does not mean that it will be a place where people feel they have to go out of fear of damnation. No one will stand on the pulpit every Sunday and tell you how evil you are. That is not the Pagan way. We must begin to re-imagine a new way of organization, of sharing what we have learned with others freely without fear.

So, if Pagans shared their beliefs with other people it wouldn't have to be hard-core evangelical proselytizing. It could simply be a sharing of beliefs - an advertising of faith without shame.

Before too many hairs stand up on the backs of reader's necks, let me specify that I do not feel there should be roving gangs of Pagans setting up shop on street corners, holding sandwich signs, and preaching about the End Times. When I say advertising I mean sharing events, classes, temples/churches on community bulletin boards, fliers, websites, etc.

Did the Buddha proselytize when he shared the intuitive lessons he had learned to those who chose to sit and listen to him? Do you even equate the concept of evangelism to Buddhism? I don't think so. So, why would Pagans - whom are intrinsically mystical like Buddhists - be any different?

Do you honestly believe Pagans would come anywhere near Christians in this area? Instead of "All sinners will burn in the fire pits of Hell" what would we yell? "Your Karma will suck if you're mean?" Seriously. There is no comparison. We're talking apples and oranges here folks.

I believe being able to share our knowledge without crossing the threshold of the "scary" brand of proselytizing is a step on the road to finding solutions to the questions of organization and standards for legal Pagan clergy. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think much of the problem comes from the fact that to a majority of the Pagan community, "proselytize" is a very, very dirty word because we've limited its meaning to only the negative aspects - conversion through intrusiveness on up to brute physical force and even pain of death. I also agree with you that we know the difference between "Convert or be killed or driven out of the community or shunned," and "Here's the information. I'll be over there to talk to you if you want." In fact, I'd say that we're so anti-conversion that we may drive away people who are interested by making it impossible to talk to someone with some answers. Most people will only take so much "Sorry, can't discuss it with you," before their response is "Fine, I know where I'm not wanted."

Maybe the answer is to just chuck the whole concept of converting people as inimical to who we are and look more at informing them through the kinds of "advertising" methods you name. If we value (as we generally claim to) people making informed decisions about spiritual issues, how can we not support informing them?

Grian said...

I couldn't agree more. To this day I know groups who will not speak to interested parties about their tradition. I have never understood this. I relish in the opportunity to discuss my beliefs and debate with others, learning more about them and myself through conversation.

Forced conversion is just a terrifying concept. I can not imagine a time when Pagans would consider such a tactic. But, we should be open to sharing and freely telling others about our religion. Some people would call that preaching or proselytizing. Maybe they’re too afraid of ending up like so many well-intentioned Christians. But, “sharing the word” is not a Pagan tenant. So once again, we do things the Pagan way not the Christian way.

Thanks so much for your comments Gypsy. I always love it when you stop by.

Anonymous said...

Hello.

I would first like to agree with your thoughts and conclusions; I find nothing wrong with proselytizing, if done correctly. That is to say, I believe in an exchange of differing ideas and a discussion on those ideas. While I have yet to actually have missionaries come to my place of residence, I hope for the time when they do. I would invite them in, hear what they say, interact with them.

But a couple of things I wished to correct, if I may.

You mention a time when there was no wars: Pagans (pre-Christians) were just as guilty of war as any other human. However, I do not know of any specifics that would allow anyone to state the wars were theologically motivated. The defeated culture's gods were either removed, proven to be weaker, or assimilated.

Second, Pagans in the past have done forced conversion. Look at the Romans and the Jews, as well as the rising Christians. The Maccabean revolutions were caused because the Romans tried to set up a statue of Jupiter in the Holy Temple of Jerusalem!

But I do agree with you, and I hope more will in the future as well.