And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

Persephone as Crone

The Temple of Persephone is almost done, but I wanted to get this out now in case someone can inspire me to make some changes in thought before it goes live.

I'm trying desperately to make these musings as personal as possible since I think there is no one right way to interpret the Goddess. I hope you find something useful or thought provoking within my ramblings. (edits in bold)
M U S I N G S

Her story has resonated with millions of people over millennia and her archetype is firmly rooted in the human psyche. She is Persephone, Queen of the Underworld, transformation of the Sacred Bride.

While young Kore played in the fields, stopping to take in the scent of flowers, a hole opened up in the Earth below her. She was shaken as she stood gazing at the God Pluton in his chariot. He was beautiful to her eyes, a vision of perfect masculinity and a counterpart to her feminine grace. With a natural fear of things unknown, Kore allowed herself to be taken by Pluton and succumbed to her destiny as his lover and his queen.

Persephone entered my life quite some time ago. I had very little understanding of her mysteries at that time and simply thought of her as the Maiden in the most generic sense. As I studied her further she began to take on her full form in my heart, showing me that her story was timeless and poignant. She also showed me that her image was hardly limited to that of the Maiden. I felt as though she was calling me to rediscover her and find a way to fully integrate her into my personal image of the Great Goddess.

In Eleusis, where the mysteries thrived for so long, Persephone was revered as a primary deity, and as an integral symbol of the religious traditions of thousands. In this sacred space I invite you to soak in the story of Persephone and learn her lessons for yourself. Let her light embrace you and take you into the hallowed caves of Eleusis with all the wisdom of an initiate.

U N D E R S T A N D I N G

As with many triple Goddesses, it is impossible to talk about Persephone without taking into consideration her other aspects. My perception of the Goddess Persephone (Roman Proserpina) is that she is a distinct face of the Goddess, seperate from Kore, her Maiden aspect. I see Kore, Demeter, and Persephone as a complete Triple Goddess figure with Persephone filling the role of Crone.

Her name means "Destroyer". Through my studies I have found there are devotees of this Goddess who reject that notion on the grounds that her cycle is one of a blending of life and death without fear; that she is a queen of life and beauty and love. They believe that giving her the name Destroyer somehow strips her of the role of benevolent queen.

I propose that Persephone is indeed a destroyer. Her destruction is a necessary vehicle for transformation without which nothing new could ever be created. Much like Kali-Ma she is not only a destroyer of physical things (as she personifies death), but she is also a destroyer of fear, doubt, shame, and other negative things that are not conducive to spiritual growth. She is a remover of obstacles, again like Kali.

Many scholars and worshippers of Persephone also reject the idea of her rape by Pluton, also known as Hades. I would have to agree on this one for many reasons. As cited in Mysteries of Demeter: Rebirth of the Pagan Way by Jennifer Reif, the clergy of Persephone were all priestesses. It seems unlikely that women would have chosen to devote their lives to a religion that deifies the act of rape. I think instead Persephone's image was one of empowerment and equality, not of an abused woman without power of her own.

Also, as noted by Reif, there are images of Persephone and Pluton carved in stone that picture them sitting alongside each other on their thrones, equal and appearing to be the very essence of matrimonial partnership. Adding that to the fact that there is nothing that mentions rape in both the Orphic or Homeric texts, and it seems as though the idea of rape might have been a rather modern construct, perhaps introduced by mythology scholars or art historians. At some point someone was responsible for naming the first piece of ancient art or literature "The Rape of Persephone".

Persephone is the creation of Kore's experiences; she is a symbol of the transformation between child and adult. She bridges the gap between birth and death with Demeter standing at the center to impose the balance between the two and thus facilitating and perpetuating life.

A primary symbol of Persephone is the pomegranate. Eating its seeds symbolizes gaining wisdom and the knowledge of the mystery of eternal life. The pomegranate could quite possibly have been the first image of the fruit of knowledge spoken of in Jewish mythology. When I ponder this further though I find I come to a small conundrum. Jewish mythology (in the Old Testament of the Bible) says that the fruit was the downfall of humanity. I don't agree with this idea as I think knowledge is not a bad thing. I think perhaps though that ignorance truly is bliss and sometimes knowing too much causes suffering. It is easier and less painful to accept things blindly instead of pondering life for oneself.

So, the key words I have identified in regards to Persephone are destruction, wisdom, and partnership. (See the Temple of Merope for more on my keyword process.)

Destruction
- Destroying one thing transforms it into another. (death is not to be feared)
- Without destruction there can be no birth or growth.
- Destroying ego or negative qualities of the self is an important process in spiritual development.

Partnership
- The sexes are equal and compatible.
- Working together is a way to effect greater change. (cliche version: there is no "i" in team.)
- It is not good to bear the burden of life alone.

Wisdom
- Knowledge should be sought after.
- With wisdom comes a rebirth of the spirit.
- Don't waste your ability to learn and think for yourself.

10 comments:

Lavender said...

you have done an amazing amount of work for these temples. they are fantastic.
lavendar

Anonymous said...

Destruction, Partnership and Wisdom...I like how you broke things down into these three attributes.

I disagree with you a bit though on the interpretation of what happened in the Garden of Eden. First, while it is based on the some of the same text, Jewish and Christian interpretation vary quite a bit on what the true meaning of events were. But in either tradition, it was never about the fruit really and had very little to do with obtaining knowledge. Depending on how you choose to interpret it, eating the fruit had more to do with seduction, free will, lust of power, loyalty, deceit, and love. And of course Jewish mythology also has the whole Lillith mythology as well which raises the story a notch but is something Christians have opted to ignore.

I was wondering if you, or the ancient priestess of Persephone thought Destruction was necessary and had to occur FIRST before you could obtain Partnership and Wisdom?

Also, and just showing my lack of knowledge here but hey..., since there were only priestess in the worship of Persephone, I was wondering if the followers attracted to her worship were mostly women and did the rites reflect that?

The other question I had is how then did the priestess and followers - or you - view the role of Hecate in this story and the consequent deal that was worked out?

Sorry if I asked to many question. :) I look forward to visiting the temple.

Grian said...

Jett,

First, thanks as always for your insightful thoughts. And I love questions! Love love love them! LOL. Especially if I don't know the answers because there is so much to be gained from seeking them out.

Re Eden: I think what I was getting at was the thought that the first sacred fruit/fruit of knowledge may have been a pomegranate. Some people connect this with the fall of humanity so I sort of battled with how to interpret this. I guess depending on interpretation the fall could've been caused by Eve, the serpent, Adam, etc. Perhaps I should also generalize what I consider Jewish mythology in another way. Maybe Abrahamic is more appropriate?

I can't speak for the Priestesses of Eleusis, but for me personally I do feel there needs to be a certain amount of destruction before wisdom and partnership can be fully attained. Perhaps a kind of breaking down of the ego must happen before someone can truly understand partnership and maybe with death (or the destruction of the body) comes true wisdom. I feel that these lessons may have been part of the Greater Mysteries and seem to have been hinted about in many religious traditions.

From what I know of the Rites of Eluesis (I forget how to spell that all the time, lol) those who sought out initiation were both men and women without one sex being too much more populative than the other. The Mysteries were open to everyone.

I once thought about the idea of Hecate being the Crone in this triad, but the more I look at it she seems to have less of a role than any of the others. I think perhaps she is a facet of the Crone - part of Persephone herself - since she is the only one who knows where Persephone is (according to some tales) and she is the one who tells Demeter how to find her. What are your ideas Jett?

I really love this sort of conversation. Thanks again!

Grian said...

Lavender, thanks so much. I'm glad your enjoying them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering my questions! I wouldn't worry about re-labeling Jewish mythology. If you say Abrahamic then a Moslem might think you're including Islam. It's never ending. :) It is just what happens when you have a bunch of groups using the same text but reading it different ways. A lot of the Jewish mythology has been 'lost' to non-jews but oddly enough not to most pagan traditions. A little bit of irony there I think.

Well, it is interesting that both men and women sought out initiation but - if I'm understanding correctly - it was mainly women who because the priest/priestess. Wonder why that was? Sorry but sometimes I'm like a kid who keeps asking 'why' to every answer he gets.

I read this story of Persephone and Demeter and Hecate when I first became a pagan and was totally swept up in the story. (And I'm hoping I'm not forgetting any details here.) But I think Hecate has a much more important role and is seperate from Persephone and Demeter and not a different side of them. You know, good mythology is like Shakespeare in which the story and characters are multi-layered and working on about a dozen different levels at once. And why Shakespeare is so good is because that is also the way real life works. And I think it is the same for the gods. Wonder if you would agree with that?

I just thought Hecate's bravery, love for family, loyalty, and her negotiating skills were pretty inspiring. And I also love the charaterstics she portrays throughout history after this episode. Would Persephone have been able to find solace in her situation or peace of mind without Hecate? I think Hecate is the stabilizer in this situation. And what would've happened to Demeter with all that grief if Hecate hadn't completed her mission?

In some ways this is the typical family. Mother has two daughters who do care for each other but one falls or is swept away by the bad boy in spite of the consequences and the other is always logical, looking out for her family and doing what needs to be done to bring peace of mind. And if Persephone is a destroyer then Hecate is a preserver in that she helps people find their way and actively protects them especially the least fortunate i.e. the widow or orphan. If Persephone lives with death then Hecate is very much among the living. Persephone craves company and beauty while Hecate is solitary and deals with the dark side of life. Persephone has a home but Hecate wanders into a stranger's home for comfort.

Ok, I'm chatting too much now. :) Anyway, I just think all three gods need the other to function in this story our their own outcome would've been much different.

Grian said...

Yeah semantics can get pretty hairy when talking about religion, theology, etc. There's pretty much no way to please everyone. :)

From what is known of the Rites of Eleusis it was fairly equal among men and women. Initiates were not clergy people per se.

And I will have to edit my info about Persephone because I was trying to say that all the clergy of Persephone were priestesses. There were priests in Demetrian Paganism for sure. From what I've read these positions were filled from certain prominent families.

I love your thoughts on Hecate. I do think she is an important part of the story. I think I integrate her because my theology is based on a Triple Goddess model. It's a framework really, that is hopefully not limiting.

I would love to muse on Hecate when I am done with Persephone. I love the title of Perserver for her.

I do the question thing and I wouldn't want it any other way. Actually, I always marvel at people who don't question things. I never understand how they can just accept what they are told. I was kind of annoying to my teachers I think because I always had a question or a devil's advocate approach on things. :)

Rock on Jett! Keep questioning your butt off.

Anonymous said...

Wild. I've definitely thought of Persephone as a dual goddess, as Kore/Persephone. But your integration of her into the triple goddess is pretty compelling. I'll have to think on that.

We just named our newborn daughter Persephone. I thank you for backing me up on my conviction that this is a name of empowerment and equality.

Grian said...

Editor,

How wonderful. Congrats on your new little one. I'm glad you've found something here to be useful.

Have fun with little Persephone. The first year is the best and it goes by so fast.

spoons19 said...

I love your writings on Persephone - thank you so much. I've been reading up on her because a while ago, I adopted the pomegranate as my personal emblem. It has a lot of symbolic meanings, but I especially love that the fruit appears plain (yet crown topped) on the outside, but as you dig deeper, a layer of jewel-like arils are revealed. Each layer you get to know reveals more jewels - not unlike discovering new fantastic things about a person or any subject.

I love the imagery you suggest that the pomegranate is the original fruit of knowledge - I agree.

I am fascinated with the story of Persephone representing death, and the rebirth that the death allows.

Did you know that "pomegranate" anagrams to "remote pagan" - just like the remote underworld that Persephone was banished to.

Thanks again!

jen said...

hi there
i just stumbled onto your blog when i was doing a search on persephone. i'm enjoying reading your inspiring posts. thank you! :)