And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

Pagan Theology is Goddess

Ancient texts, theology, stories of the Goddess, the ability to think for oneself, the rich culture of civilizations, good books and resources, brilliant authors and Pagan thologians, ideas and epiphanies... all of these things are Goddess.

It struck me recently that the temple project is leading to discussions in theology. I won't spell it with an "a" (thealogy) because I don't think it's necessary. Besides, wouldn't it be nice if common language was used so everyone understood what was being discussed? (Thanks to Ailia for teaching me this lesson.) Anyway, I know that sometimes the topic of theology is not popular with Pagans - that we presume it's something Christians do and that it will only lead to doctrine. And most Pagans simply shudder at the big evil idea of doctrine. I'm somewhat proud to realize that, at least from my point of view, none of the discussions found here lately are too indoctrinated. I think it's clear that everyone is speaking from their own educated view points which I am very grateful for.

As I searched the web for links related to Pagan theology I found some interesting articles, one that specifically discusses the "theology leads to doctrine" idea. In this article the author lays out common modern Pagan beliefs in comparison with his/her beliefs. The differences are interesting and the author's frustration with modern Paganism's lack of things like faith, love, devotion, etc. - or at least the reluctance of Pagan's to use those words in conjunction with religion - is obvious. I echo the same sentiments and found the article refreshing and honest.

Give the article a read if you have some time and since today is Thou Art Goddess Thursday: Pagan theology is Goddess. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the discussions here so if I ever started sounding too indoctrinated feel free to slap me upside the head. :) I find I learn more from discussions like this and posts like yours than just about anything else.

I don't know why pagans would fear terms like faith or theology. I know Christians use them but where did Christians probably got them from? The pagan cultures that came before them.

I always viewed theology as an 'exploration' of what the gods are about and how magick works. And I can't feature my magick working without faith. It takes faith to go against the grain and make something happen in cooperation with the unseen. Doctrine I think is much more man-made but even then, and even for Christians, it is usually rooted in some kind of experience.

I know everyone doesn't want to repeat the 'mistakes' of Christian denominations - including me - but I think paganism will sell itself short if it doesn't keep having deep discussions about the gods and magick and keep pushing the envelope.

Grian said...

I couldn't agree more Jett and thank you for that brilliant point. I have actually gotten frustrated with peers over just such things as words like faith, theology, and even church.

I'm so glad you found the site. I love the chance to get to learn from you. Your points are always insightful and your questions always bring on great discussion.