And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

This Might Piss You Off

I was reading Deborah Lipp's blog, Property of a Lady, the other day and found a post entitled Harassment in an Elevator.

At first I totally bought this article. I was like "Yeah, those guys suck. Society is screwed..." Then I took a shower and thought about it. I mean really thought about it. The conclusions I came up with were much different than my initial reaction.

Then, in the interest of getting all the facts, I wandered over to where the post originated from and saw some pictures. Firstly, I'm not saying this woman is not attractive but she certainly does not look like a stripper. I think it's the leotard. She looks more like a dancer. Strippers typically don't shop at the same places ballet dancers do. And the gloves or wristlets she's got on say "costume" for sure.

So, after gathering my facts and giving this some serious thought I now have a well formulated opinion. Or something like it. Below is the original article and below that is what I have to say about it. You can choose to only scroll half way if you're not interested in my thoughts.


Until, going to the bathrooms on the second floor alone**, I stepped into the elevator. It was filled with men who were all taller than me, and not wearing WisCon badges. They looked surprised and pleased as I got in. And I felt uneasy and self-conscious before I had time to think of why.

“Well, hey, now,” one guy murmured. “Hey there.”

“Yeah,” another chuckled.

“Second floor, please,” I said.

“Hey!” someone else said. “What’s going on on that floor?”

“Costume party.”

“Well, can we go?”

They laughed appreciatively. I said “No.” And I got out.

And that was it. They didn’t say anything foul, they certainly didn’t touch me, and it wasn’t even close to harassment by the standards of our society. So why was I shaky and scared and angry afterwards?

Two things:

1) At the costume ball, my clothing – fishnets, black leotard, blonde wig - was coded “superhero”. In the elevator, it was coded “stripper”.

2) Everyone is conditioned to assess women primarily by how sexually attractive and/or available they appear to be. Making that assessment clear is normal. Vocalizing that assessment is normal. Blaming women for others harassing or abusing them based on how attractive they are or what they were wearing at the time is normal.

If you’re gearing up to say something like “But nothing really bad happened!” or “Well, what did you expect?” or “Come on, weren’t you looking for attention?”, or “They were just being nice!”: don’t.

I know that those men almost certainly meant me no harm; they probably thought expressing a wish to follow me to a party was a compliment. It is entirely possible that none of them have ever imagined being in an enclosed space with a group of big strangers eyeing you up and asking if they can come with you could be a frightening experience. Our culture is set up so that they’ve never had to.

This and like incidents have happened to me, like many women, time and time again: strange men telling me to “smile!”; strange men shouting “Show us your tits!” as they drive past; strange men groping my breasts and ass in crowded train carriages.

(Women also buy into the patriarchal imperative to judge women primarily by their physical appearance, and that is also extremely unpleasant. However, as it is far less likely that women will follow such assessment with rape or other violent crime, it is generally much less threatening when a woman says, “You look like a whore.”)

If a woman doesn’t want to be viewed – for some weird reason - as a sex object, her choices are limited. She can be visibly angry or ignore harassment, in which case she is a FRIGID BITCH who can’t take a COMPLIMENT from NICE GUYS. Or she can be pleasant in an attempt to show them she’s actually a human being, in which case she may be ASKING FOR further “compliments” with her MIXED SIGNALS.

Or she can stay at home.

- Karen of Girls Read Comics (And They’re Pissed)


Now for my thoughts...err rant. Stop reading now if you suspect this might piss you off and you're not in the mood. :)

"I felt uneasy and self-conscious before I had time to think of why."

If you're uneasy and self-conscious why is that someone else's fault? I have been in this situation numerous times, and while being surrounded by a bunch of strange men can be somewhat intimidating, it doesn't have to be. Why not make it an empowering situation? At that moment they were admiring the woman walking into the elevator. She made a conscious choice to feel uneasy and nervous. She could have chosen to feel powerful and even beautiful.

Let's face it folks, we're animals. Animals are driven by instinct. Our instincts tell us to be attracted to someone or not. Men are easily attracted to a woman who appears to be fun, interesting, and yes clad in tight clothes. Remember that our ancestors didn't wear clothes. The body is a big turn on. Anyway, I digress.

Men (straight men) are hard wired to be attracted to women. It's just a biological fact. And thank goodness for it or there would be no people on this planet. It is this drive to reproduce (in conjunction with the natural nurturing qualities of women) that is responsible for the thriving human race. If we expect men to honor us for being what makes us women - bleeding, birthing, nursing, emotional-izing, multi-tasking, powerful women - then why shouldn't we honor them for what makes them men? Yes they are sex driven and yes most of them have the will power to control those desires. But they can't control the every-seven-minute sexual thoughts any more than we can control the blood that pours from our wombs.

Now, before I get the whip let me clarify that I do not believe women should should be seen or used as objects. But admiring a beautiful woman in an elevator is far from objectifying her.

I've been married to the same man for almost 11 years. In that time his libido has not slowed down for a second. For a long time I would get annoyed when he told me I was hot or that he thought I looked sexy. I thought that was his feeble attempt at getting into my pants. In a way, that's true, but at the same time this is how a lot of men know how to show interest, affection, and desire for their partner. In short it's a normal working of the human brain to want to be desired and to desire someone else.

My main point here: You can choose to feel powerful instead of weak. You can choose to be a gorgeous and confident woman who can wrap a man around her finger. Or you can choose to be a frightened little girl with confidence issues. There are thousands of women who would love to be shown a little (appropriate) attention by a bunch of men.

This leads me to another point.

"Everyone is conditioned to assess women primarily by how sexually attractive and/or available they appear to be."

No kidding. And women do the same thing with men. Are you going to go up and talk to the unattractive guy at the bar who looks like he might not have showered in a week or are you going to catch the eye of the hunky 6 foot guy with nice hair? Again, this is another biological instinct. We go for the people who appear to have the better genes or jeans. Physical attraction is huge. Imagine being in a relationship with a really nice guy who couldn't turn you on. One word: Hell.

American men could use some changing. This is very true. Mostly I think they should learn to be more cultured, less interested in football, and more vocal with their emotions without having their buddies question their sexuality. And absolutely many of them could learn to appreciate and honor women instead of objectifying them. Let's just keep things in perspective and remember that they are men - human - and they can't control their hormones any more than we can.

To close I am going to clarify a few things.

- There is a big difference between admiration and harassment.
- There is a big difference between attraction and objectification.
- There is a big difference between showing someone attention and raping them.
- There is a double standard for men that shouldn't be there. Men are Goddess too.
- There is a choice in everything.

Now bring on the flogging.

5 comments:

Wynyfryd said...

I absolutely feel your point is valid. One always chooses one's reaction and one can choose to be strong and beautiful or scared and beautiful. I know that my ability to choose the better path waxes and wanes with my cycle, though. But I will be filing this away in my "Choose My Reality" basket of tricks.

I think part of the key to the writer's reaction lies in some of the article that was not included in your post, however.

WisCon, the world’s first and largest feminist sci-fi and fantasy convention,

and

I was surrounded, for the first time in my life, by people I could reasonably assume would not judge me according to preconceptions about my gender, age, sexuality, ethnicity, or any of those other myriad, stupid conventions.

Going from that "feminist" environment to the elevator of admiring men apparently was enough of a culture-shock that she couldn't choose to maintain her Tough Chick attitude. That personality wasn't integrated into her self.

All the above implies a lot about her current state of growth and how much room she has. I wonder if I'd be able to choose Tough Chick in her place?

Grian said...

I agree that she is in a certain stage of growth that would lead to her reaction. Perhaps I should have put in the part about the con being a feminist one.

I used to want to blame everything "bad" that happened to me on the patriarchy. These days I know that I have to accept some responsibility too. But again, this is a different stage of growth.

I think one of the biggest things to be gained from this article is the negative way that men can be seen and how, as women, we expect them to be something they're not because we don't like certain very male things about them. Some things do need to be abolished from the male psyche, but the same could be said for the female psyche.

For example: I want my husband to honor my moon cycle instead of being grossed out by it. That's a reaction that he was taught by society. His level of sexual attraction may have also been influenced by society but it's also a natural aspect of being male.

I hope I'm explaining myself well. It can be hard to explain some things. :)

Anyway, I am thrilled with your comment and grateful that you took the time to read this post and leave your thoughts. You rock Lady!

Wynyfryd said...

You are explaining yourself well, no worries. I've been reading your blog for awhile, before deciding to engage :) So "You rock!" back atcha! :):)

Thinking about the aspects of maleness that make my hackles rise, am I over-reacting to an innately male thing that I need to just get over, or are men still pigs - and allowed to be pigs -- too often to get over. And to be fair, are women sometimes too bitchy, too often to just get over. I think there's some growing to be done on both sides, as you stated.

I wonder if we will ever reach a balance? I wonder if there has ever been a time of balance in the past, and what f'd it up for everyone? (I've had a great marguerita and what comes to mind is that GW has to be responsible somehow LOL - I know, I know, it happened long ago, but tequila loosens my fingers ;)

Wynyfryd said...

Uh oh, my apologies if this posts, like, 5 times.... darned tequila! Feel free to delete duplicates!

(omg, I am so embarrassed.... )

Grian said...

Margaritas sound wonderful right now. I just might have to make a run to the liquor store. LOL

Yeah, the balance is way off and we all have some growing up to do. I don't know if we'll ever get there, but I think there are some definite strides being made.

Many men are still pigs (and this younger generation has me really worried) but women have made it pretty clear that we won't stand for it. At least I think so.

Women are being seen as sex objects more often today than any other time I can remember. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more in my old age. :) But can we blame men for that? Or the women who allow themselves to be exploited in the Media? When do you think the pop-queens will start caring more about their self respect and less about their pay checks? Should women stop exploiting themselves or can this country get more sexually liberated and less sex-obsessed if women keep being seen for the sexual creatures we are? It's double-edged for sure - but so is everything.

Another great comment. I love the loose fingers. I have the same syndrome. *wink*