And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

Prayer to Mother Demeter

Mother,
I must make this journey
of life alone
But I know always
that you are with me.
Your hand...
will never leave my hand.
Your heart...
will never be far from mine.
We are always together...
always one.

Though I must journey alone I ask
That you lend me your strength...
in times of need,
Your shoulder...
in times of sorrow,
Your smile...
in times of joy,
And your love always.

When the time comes
I shall return to you again
As in all things
there is a cycle
That has no end.


- From the Meditation and Worship section of The Temple of Demeter @ Panthea

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may sound korny, but that prayer just hit home for me. Thanks for posting it. I think I need to learn more about Demeter because what you've posted now - and in the past - has stuck with me. If you have any good starting points drop me an email and let me know. Nice to see you back online. :)

Grian said...

Hey Jett. I always love seeing your name in the comments. I have missed you too.

There are a few books the have some good info on Demeter. Mysteries of Demeter: Rebirth of the Pagan Way by Jennifer Reif, Triple Goddess by Adam McLean, and the myths themseleves (the Homeric and Orphic Hymns to Demeter, readily available online) are great places to start.

I'm glad you liked the prayer. It gave me a little chill after I read it in whole the firt time and continues to give me that same feeling again and again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. More business for Amazon.com :)